Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Return of The Saints

Sometimes, it's great to be wrong.

The Saints returned to New Orleans Monday night to defeat what many, including myself, thought a superior Falcons team. Atlanta had racked up over 500 yards rushing in their first two games and looked like a born-again squad with a revitalized Mike Vick and beefed-up defense. But this outcome couldn't be predicted with stats. This game couldn't be won by measure of talent. No, this game was won with heart. Congratulations, New Orleans.


So I went 9-5 this week with my picks, 2-3 with the big games. Are these Bengals for real? A so-so game out of Cincinnatti equals an upset over Pittsburgh. At the same time, that defense put out a ton of yards. I'll be interested to see how they handle San Diego in Week 10 and Indianapolis is Week 15. Sunday night it became very clear that the Patriots are on the down escalator, did you see that bench? Backdoor Sluts 9 didn't have that many heads hanging low. New England has made some choices lately that have heads shaking, but this isn't a team that should be looking like it can't pull out of the spiral.
One bad pick I went on this year was going with something I prophesized two years ago. This is just poor on my part. In 2004 I told a friend in Jersey to give the Giants two years. This is what I went on in giving NY the thumbs up as my NFC contender this year. The past two weeks, they have just. looked. bad. Seattle absolutely crushed them, pay no attention to the 42-30 score, this was 42-3 at one point. Now there are problems, players slamming each other - I don't know how much worse it gets than that - this is a team on very shaky ground. I made an airhead decision. And I thought CNN Headline News' Robin Meade claimed that blue ribbon yesterday with asking the weather guy what the temperature would be like at the SuperDome. Oh boy.

hUhuhboobieswhat was I talking about again. Right so it looks like the Seahawks got all the moving parts going again and looked just awesome on Sunday. Say what you want about the losing team returning to the Super Bowl trend, this is still the team to beat in the NFC. The Bears topped the Vikings in a close match, despite some mistakes on Grossman's part you have to give the guy credit for keeping focus and nailing a touchdown in the closing minutes to seal the game. It's a win, but don't think that Minnesota team won't be back. The Bears face a gargantuan test this week vs. the Seahawks.
Elsewhere, the Colts offense worked on the Jaguars defense patiently and arose at the end with the W. This is an intense team that wants that ring, it will be interesting to see who will be able to keep up with Indianapolis this year, as the Patriots, who have had their number in previous years, are currently reeling in the East.

4 comments:

spartachris said...

I hope that some others who read this page - all three of you, hahaha - caught this game and were able to take something away in what you saw, I thought this was an amazing night.
From the preshow - while I'm not so much a U2 "fan", I thought their performance was fantastic - to the actual game, to the sights and faces in the crowd and in that city.

BigNewsDay said...

That was a great game and a great event. Damn, a blocked punt and a blocked field goal in one game? I've can't remember ever seeing a team that fired up.

spartachris said...

Seriously man, I was on the phone and went nuts when I saw the blocked punt and resulting touchdown, that was unreal. I just don't even understand what happened to the Falcons they were so off and totally unraveled.
By the way I might be the only person on the net who got into U2, seems like everyone else is tearing on them like it was RoachJoE up there hahahaha

BlackLabelAxe said...

Not so much "Pumped Up", but "Paid Off".

That game was so full of shit that I could stand to watch Alge Crumpler drop one big pass before I knew the outcome of this one.

The only rebuttal to the "paid off" accusation that I've gotten so far was "Yeah, but New Orleans deserved that game!" Maybe so, but I'm definitely questioning the integrity of that game.

Spike Lee in the broadcast booth? Sounds like a football game to me!

-Disgusted Falcons fan