Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ken Hawk's Friday Huddle - Week 4

Week 4 of the NFL season is here, and Ken Hawk is on the job to get you through it, with as little stress and as many boobies as possible.
This weekend poses several fierce matchups. The undefeated Seahawks travel to Chicago for a NFC showdown. The Bolts take on the Ravens in a matchup of solid defenses. Carolina hosts the 3-0 Saints. New England heads to Cincinnatti to face the undefeated Bengals. The Colts face the Jets. BND's 'Boys and T.O.D. (get that? T.O.? O.D.? I thought it was clever. OK, nevermind.) head to Tennessee to see if the Tits even show up.
Lets talk Chargers at Ravens. "Something has got to give" is the phrase of the week and rightfully so. San Diego presents a formidable offense and defense, they miss the playoffs last year by a few feet, but the team is here. Maybe we haven't seen enough of Philip Rivers yet, but we've seen plenty of Shawne Merriman to make us thundershit ourselves. Baltimore has a few W's in the belt this year, and anywhere you look people will say yeah, against Tampa Bay, Oakland, and Cleveland. But there's a point there. Let's see what happens when you throw two winning teams at each other. This is going to be a hard hitting, defensive contest, and I think the Chargers will put it away at the end.
The Saints may be the least respected 3-0 team out there. Day of, New Orleans residents on the net were boasting how bad they suck. Day after, the game had to have been fixed. Many still doubt their play and credit the emotion of Monday night. I honestly do not know, I think this is one of those teams that has defied the natural laws, like how Ken Hawk leaves a skid mark on the ceiling, and its just going to take a few more weeks to wait and see. At the same time, I never bought into the whole Carolina thing, it came right after preseason and smelled of overhype. Hey theres plenty of time to turn it around, so prove me wrong. I say the Saints do it again here.
In the Colts/Jets and Patriots/Bengals games, I just don't see enough there to trip up either of the favored teams. I was interested to see what Bill Belichick would mastermind to keep the Cincinnatti offense down, and maybe he will, but that image of Tom Brady looking like a bum on the sidewalk is sticking with me.
A Sunday night battle awaits at Soldier Field when the Seahawks take on the Chicago Bears. Some predict this as an early look at a possible postseason matchup. Hell, why not? The Seahawks haven't lost much since last year, their play has strengthened each week, they knocked NY into a complete tailspin last Sunday with a stiff defense and a four wide receiver offense that seemed to keep everyone open and kept the Giants defense scrambling, and are bucking that trend that follows the Super Bowl loser clubs. The Bears offense has been playing at a higher level than it had all last year, and in three weeks they've done what you'd expect a good club to: blowout the weak teams, and win the close games vs. the strong ones. Are they a contender? It's Week 4, we could sit here and make arguments for half the NFL teams. Here's my thoughts: win or lose, this game is really about finding out how good Seattle and Chicago are. I say this for this game, but it should apply to any: a win is a win, but finding your substance is a real victory. I thought this would be my upset pick as I assumed the Seahawks were favored, but as of Alexander's benching, a critical factor to say the least, I have not seen the odds. Well, I'm going with the Bears on this one, looking for a very close scoring game, and hoping to see the Chicago boys come out on top. Ken Hawk will be back Monday night for the recap after the Packer lose HAHAHAHAHAOMg


7 comments:

BigNewsDay said...

This should be a very good weekend in football. There are some great match-ups, and I look forward to watching my 'boys whup the titans with or without T.O.D.

spartachris said...

After spending some of my childhood in Memphis, I was hoping to see these guys turn things around, but Tennessee went from a "rebuilding" team last year to a serious mess. Dropping McNair and Volek when they did was just bad decision-making.
Hey man, any thoughts on the blog? Looking for feedback on if its too long, if I should trim it up to cover more than just the big four games each week, more cheerleaders, etc. I will definetly be keeping a fresh Coach Hawk image coming in each week.

spartachris said...

re: McNair and Volek
I realize it wasn't "dropping", I was unclear what happened with McNair and Volek just wanted trading, but losing these two didn't help the efforts, was my point.

BigNewsDay said...

Dude, your articles are great, and greatly appreciated. You cover the top games of the week in just the right amount of detail. The pics are great. I always look forward to seeing where Ken will turn up next (hey, what about Ken's Travel Blog? That would be insane). My rule of thumb is that you can never have too many cheerleaders.

spartachris said...

Hey thanks man, glad you enjoy them. I try and touch on the details of the matchups without diving in too much, but also without just making the surface observations (i.e. OMG the Colts are good lol) But thank you again, always looking for feedback, always looking to make things better, more effective, more readable, and more boobs. Yes, the cheerleaders are a part of this sport too, and they will continue to be a part here.
Ken Hawk's travel blog... interesting... I'm running through the possibilities in my head now.

Lefty Metalhead said...

Awesome article Hawk. Maybe you can separate paragraphs here and there, but the content is amazing. GO BEARS!!! I see this as the first real test of the season. We'll see.

spartachris said...

Hey thanks bro, no I agree, the paragraphs and template of the page make it a little crowded in there. I'd like to be able to shape it up, I'll see what I can do Tuesday.
No kidding, this weekend is a big task. There's a lot of factors to take in: Seattle outside of QWest Field, Alexander on the sideline, Desmond Clark's status, etc. If there was ever a time to see how Chicago stands, this is it.