Sunday, September 17, 2006

THE MIGHTY CHICAGO BEARS

The autumn season is upon us, and with it comes the start of the 2006-07 NFL season. As a loving fan of the sport itself, I have made a tradition at studying trends and statistics as well as enjoying the momentum of the season; there is no greater loyalty than the fan who dons the colors and endures weather and wife alike to salute his team every Sunday, but who does not simply enjoy a well-matched game?
In all honesty, this is the first year in the last 4 where I have been unable to picture one team rising above the rest at the forefront of the season; indeed, looking into the horizon it appears one team has just as good a chance as the next. Two years ago I chose the New England Patriots to claim the prize (thank you), and last year the Indianapolis Colts (though as I thought the Steelers had the coolest name since I was kid, in addition to their enormous play in the past two years, loved seeing this franchise win). This year, I am with hesitation at any choice. New England remains a threat in the east. The Bengals and Ravens look to challenge the Steelers in the north. The NFC East looks to AGAIN be the hard-fought title this year, with a revitalized Philadelphia group rejoining the battle. At the commencement of the season, unable to see a clear leader surmounting above the pile, I made these picks:
Super Bowl winner: Indianapolis
Super Bowl loser: New York Giants
Dark horse: Miami
Indianapolis is a storm of offense, a strong defense, a team that many a football fan recognize, but also one that has fallen in the important games. I suggested the New York Giants as the team I prophesized two years ago would find its groove and pose a serious threat. Manning has seen some experience, perhaps not quite enough yet, but New York looks to be a contender in the NFC race. Miami, at the end of last season, I thought to be the team no one would see coming. I'm not buying the whole Cardinals pick as a sleeper yet.

Now, the Chicago Bears, the kings of the north, the monsters of the midway, the sultans of swing. I myself was shaking my head at what I considered a weak draft, seeking a threat to complement Mushain would seem the priority (I'm sorry, Bobby Wade just doesn't cut anything but cheese for me). However, the first two games have raised eyebrows. While one can't but help look at the preseason with measuring stick in hand, Grossman has played good. I've watched Griese in Tampa, I myself sought to see more of him, but Rex has performed, and suddenly we're seeing some action from Berrian, Clark and this guy I love to watch Jason McKie. With Jones and Benson intact, the Bears will almost certainly reign as the NFC North champs. The defense? Numbers don't lie, they are suffocating. Paris Hilton couldn't score on this.
My picks today went great, considering last week I was 9-6, with New Orleans as my upset pick over Cleveland. Today, very good this morning, 8-1, my upset this week was the Giants over the Eagles, and until 5 minutes ago, I spent three hours wondering what the hell I was thinking. BND, watch out for those Giants bud! In the other two big games, I am thinking BND's 'Boys over the Redskins, and the Steelers over the Jaguars. I'll be working harder to getting picks up here each week, looking forward to a great season!

7 comments:

Lefty Metalhead said...

Go Chicago Bears!!!

Green Bay: PWNED
Detroit: PWNED

spartachris said...

We all have our anxiousness before Game 1, but there were several writers in the Windy City who slashed the Bears during the preseason.
True, Green Bay (thanks for the entertainment, I love picking against and watching you guys lose) and Detroit couldn't beat the local park district's 13 year-old girls division chamions, but I think some spoke too soon when downing hopes of a successful postseason. The Bears are an ASCENDING team with increasing potential.

Lefty Metalhead said...

Agreed.

BigNewsDay said...

With just over 7:00 to go, My 'boys are PWNING the skins. I still think we can take the division.

spartachris said...

I think the 'Skins will slow this season, I was suprised they got as far as they did in '05. The Eagles and Giants will make it a rough road, the latter of the two I think having a tougher schedule.

Lefty Metalhead said...

As much as I'm a Bears fan, I won't fully jump on the bandwagon until they face a challenging team. Then we'll know how good the best defense really is!

spartachris said...

That's understandable. While beating the Packers is as difficult as tipping over one of the many green and gold outhouses of our northern neighbors, I think the Bears' play has surpassed the expectations of many.
When I say that, keep in mind what kind of offense we had last year. Remember, many of those games we won with the defense alone(sometimes literally, with an interception ran back for a touchdown or a forced fumble on the 3 yard line).
In two games I have seen the beginnings of an offense clicking, and I think that's much more than what we had almost all of last year.