Thursday, October 12, 2006

Ken Hawk's Friday Huddle - Week 6

Welcome to Week 6 of the NFL season, your trusted compadre Coach Hawk is here, a week after going 13-1, telling you how it is and telling the rest to get in the back of the bus and sit down. A round of Tasering won't stop this guy, though he may drop the "Does this smell like chloroform?" pick-up line with the ladies; it does in fact get you Tasered fast, and often.
This week's matchups include several with the NFC's top division leaders, including Philadelphia and New Orleans, a West rivalry between the Seahawks and Rams, and the Big Blue at Atlanta. The "appealing" games are limited this week, but a real tug-of-war exists in the NFC, as several teams look to dethrone the Seahawks.
Eagles haters may not like it, but as a fan of the game I see McNabb playing some of his best football ever. The offense ranks #1 in the league and why not, McNabb has always played a good game and makes choice decisions. Despite some injuries and a day-to-day running game, Philadelphia has truly resurfaced since that awful 2005 season. At the same time, the Saints continue to be the feel-good story of the NFL following an incredible 4-1 start. I never understood trading Drew Brees though I can't say San Diego is complaining now, and Brees has recovered and played damn well in New Orleans. And does it get much better than the one-two punch of McCallister and Bush? The Saints I think have the talent to keep up in battle with the Eagles, but I don't see them upsetting this soaring offense. While the defense has improved immensely the pieces aren't all here yet, New Orleans would have to have lucky bounces to take on some of the NFL elite.
The Seahawks return from their bye week after that loss to DA BEARS and face division rival St. Louis. The Rams kicked off their season with a thrashing of Denver followed by a loss to San Francisco, and now have won 3 in a row by a touchdown or less vs. Detroit, Green Bay, and Arizona. OK, so the play is actually fairly good, but wins against under .500 teams, two being close wins involving last minute fumbles, well, they don't gotten me on board with some saying to watch for this team as the season progresses. I watched the Arizona game, and I didn't see it. The defense is decent but the wins have come with last minute luck, and I've already gone through this with the Ravens. When scoring in the final second becomes a habit, it will be exposed. The Rams' numbers are increasing but this is a tough, talented Seattle club, and you can bet this is also an angry Seattle club.
The other NFC East vs. NFC South game on Sunday comes with Giants against the Falcons. I was a bit shocked to see NY beat back the Redskins last week following a near collapse going into their bye week. But the defense rallied, Manning threw well, and the Giants put a brake on the 'Skins who only a week before had topped the Jaguars. I still believe that this is a growing team capable of doing great things, though what with their shaky start and a tough schedule this may not be their year. The story in Atlanta this year hasn't been Mike Vick so much as the tremendous defensive power they have assembled. Aside from the loss to the Saints in that MNF return the Falcons haven't allowed an offensive touchdown and are ranked up at #3 for overall defense. The offensive rush is producing big time, though there have been some problems getting the whole job done; coming off a bye week it may take this match to fully assess how Atlanta will finish on the attack.
What stinks in here, is that Coach Hawk thundershitting himself eyeing this lovely lady? Nah, its that I have been doing fairly well in my picks, but not posting them on the site. A 13-1 week is pretty damn cool, but nothing to get a boner about if you have no proof. I have nothing to show for it other than the USA Today Friday edition sports section where I mark my picks. Well that changes here folks:
Seattle > St Louis
Philadelphia > New Orleans
Atlanta > New York Giants
Baltimore > Carolina
Cincinnati > Tampa Bay
Washington > Tennessee
Dallas > Houston
San Diego > San Francisco
NY Jets > Miami
Oakland > Denver... NOT!
Chicago > Arizona
Buffalo > Detroit
Kansas City > Pittsburgh = Upset of the Week
This is pretty much the only upset I can see happening, I think KC couldn't be finding the champs at a better time. As the mandatory upset pick goes, here it is.




13 comments:

spartachris said...

By the way, next week Ken is on his way to Jamaica. I will be posting my usual Tuesday Morning Quarterback as well as something to cover for Week 7. I will return Week 8 with the Friday Huddle.
Ken Hawk's projection of the week:
Chicago 87
Cardinals 3

spartachris said...

OK so I'm going with Kansas City over Pittsburgh now as my upset as of 1 PM on Friday. I struggled most of this week to find a matchup upset as there really isn't much out there I can see happening. St. Louis overcoming the Seattle club, meh, is certainly possible, but I don't see enough to catalyze the threshold I have for determining a good upset.
Detroit over Buffalo I was thinking, but then the Bills are coming in right as the Lions are losing to injuries.
So I'll take Kansas City, based primarily on Pittsburgh's current slump. I don't see this offense recovering this week, and that won't help a defense minus Joey Porter. The Steeler defense is still a rigid one that can stand, but missed tackles, loss of confidence, KC couldn't come to town at a better time.

spartachris said...

Comments? Criticisms? Thoughts? Cheerleaders? Zoning permits? T.O.?

spartachris said...

Alright well BND I thought I'd offer my final thoughts on the Dallas game last week. In all honesty, I think you can find fault in these pieces of the offense: the O-line, Bledsoe himself and the receiving corps. To what percent, I don't really want to get into that, because while I think there's room to say "here's where our problems lay", pointing out fault in those cracks, more in one than another, is spreading blame and getting past the point.
All week (and really every week) it's been more T.O. talk. Who's suprised? At this point, it's like a Hollywood romance cliche. The media jabs at this with a stick waiting for reaction, and when they get one, its sensationalized. I could care less, though I do hate seeing another team capsize. My point has always been about attitude, professionalism, and class, so here's my thought for you this week: If someone throws a ball right at T.O.'s hands, and he drops it, should the thrower take off his chin strap, yell, sulk, state his disappointment to the media?

Anonymous said...

chicago 87, cards 3? you are giving the cards too much credit.

spartachris said...

Damn, I didn't carry the 1 in my formula for the Ditka factor.
OK, reworked:


Bears 212
Cardinals -2

spartachris said...

Wait a minute there won't be a Week 8 blog, I'll still be in Jamaica. Alright, Week 9, then I'm back.

*crickets*

That's what I thought.

Daaa Bearssse.

Anonymous said...

well being a steelers fan, i am glad that you are wrong this week ken. ben looked good, and bengals and ravens lost. that makes a good week for me.

Anonymous said...

oh and having tomlinson on my fantasy team, that was also pretty cool

spartachris said...

I hear you Ed, as much as I don't enjoy picking against some of the teams I like, some days you have to think "man, we're going to get our ass kicked today." I don't know what I'd do if I were an Oakland fan.
I thought Pitts would still be reeling from that last punch and recover in one of the coming weeks, but I watched this game yesterday, and it just blew me away. This was a complete 180 from the Chargers game, in every single way. I don't know what happened over the past week, but Ben was poised, Hines Cedric and Nate were making catches, the running game made KC look like a NFL Europe team. That. was. awesome. Hey, I'm just a normal guy making his picks, but that out there is what really matters. And hey, Cincinnati and Baltimore both lost yesterday. Not saying anything, except not to count a great team out, theres a lot of season left.

spartachris said...

I really enjoy watching San Diego, I'm convinced this team is legit, but I swear every power poll I see people have them fairly high in the single digits. For what, that loss at Baltimore? This team looks really damn good.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your san diego assessment. their major x factor was was qb on offense (which i believe rivers is VERY good) and their secondary is a little bit weak. but having a very good pass rush, (which they do have with merriman) the cbs dont have to hold down coverage for as long. and as far as the steelers go, i am glad that they looked good, but at the same time too the chiefs looked really bad. ben looked a lot more like the ben of last year that we were used to, but we have to play atlanta next week. oakland looked bad as usual last night from what i saw. they really should trade porter or even moss before tomorrow's deadline. moss will blow up eventually with the way they keep losing (and they will keep losing) and porter is already a really expensive distraction. but hey good luck to your bears tonight (although i don't think they need it)

BigNewsDay said...

Damn Ken, what's happening to your bears? 0-20 at the half!

Eddie, you seem to enjoy the sports blog. Let me know if you would like to be a contributing member.

bignewsday@gmail.com