Thursday, October 05, 2006

Ken Hawk's Friday Huddle - Week 5

After going 8-6 in Week 4, Ken Hawk's manning the wheel in Week 5 and getting the word out on the top games while toughing it out through his latest injury. Hey, if you got a massive gum wad tangled in your pubic hair, wouldn't your methodology for removing it be freezing and a hammer? No? Me neither.
The talk of the week centers around Philadelphia where on Sunday the Cowboys and that funny little football guy visit their rival Eagles. The other NFC East teams clash in NY as the Giants look to save the ship, the undefeated Bears host the Buffalo Bills, the mighty Steelers hope to rebound in San Diego, and the Ravens look to make it 5-0 when they meet the Broncos.

I am looking forward to the Baltimore-Denver match as I hope this will be the one where one of these teams convinces me, barring a sloppy game. The Ravens come in 4-0 with a tremendous defense and a new head at offense who has lead them to last-second comebacks in the past two weeks. The Broncos have their own issues, what with constant (and really unnecessary) media scrutiny of quarterback Jake Plummer. Give the guy a break. Three games into the season and a 2-1 record? It just doesn't seem the place to be shutting down shop on the guy who hasn't been perfect. Every game won't be the best of your life. Concerning the Ravens: I can't take away from their 4-0 record, and some say the last-minute comeback is a sign of a great quarterback. Still, what I've seen hasn't shown me enough to make me a believer. Monday night, at Mile High Stadium, is a big task. On the other hand, one bad half and the Denver fans will probably be booing Plummer. Nevertheless, I'm going Denver; if the Ravens can pull off a good match, consider me a believer.
The Giants look to turn out of the spiral when the Redskins come into town on Sunday. New York, you may remember, was thrown to the trash quicker than a Dustin Diamond video by Seattle two weeks ago, and immediately emotions erupted. Outplayed, outcoached, whatever, you all lost because you lose together. This is by no means a bad team, numbers against the Colts earlier this season were encouraging and there's planty of talent here. At the same time, the Redskins seemed to have gotten on track and are gaining speed, with victories in the past two weeks, this past win against the Jaguars especially impressing. I'm not feeling the NY defense as I was last year, and I don't think they'll be holding Washington on Sunday, put me down for the 'Skins as my upset this week.
At noon the Bills take to Soldier Field to - OK, does anyone really care about any story here? I'm going Chicago, and thats all you need to know. This says it all: Daaa Bearssse.
Last year, Pittsburgh and San Diego collided hard, with the black and gold taking a two point victory. The year before, the Chargers' breakthrough season was halted in the playoffs when the Steelers beat them in a first round overtime game. This time around, both are coming off of losses. The defending champs haven't looked so in the past few games, emphasis on the offense, what with Ben Roethlisberger's unusual proneness to injuries and bad luck. There have been some poor decisions here. On the other side, the Shockers are looking to regroup after blowing that lead to the Ravens last week. All the talk has been concerning "Martyball" and its uber-conservativeness. Fair enough, but its football, sometimes you take risks and fail. This is still one of the best all-arounders in the AFC. I say the Chargers win this round in a close game, but I'll be rooting for the Steelers. On one hand, as a kid I always thought they had the coolest name. On the other, this is a critical game for them and they are aware of it; falling to 1-3, what with the Bengals and Ravens providing some serious contention in the AFC North, might be too deep a hole to recover from.
Raiders and 49ers? Please.
I'm going to skip the drama fucking circus that we're all aware of and get straight to the point with Dallas at Philadelphia. This is actually a matchup I like, both teams putting up similar numbers, both coming off big wins and looking to carry the momentum into this rivalry. You have the Eagles with a short week from the Monday Night game, but also having home-field advantage, and I'm thinking those bleachers will get LOUD. You have the Eagles numbers adding up to the top offense of the past four weeks, but you also have some key injuries adding up on that side of the Philadelphia squad. I could really see this one going either way, I believe it is that good of a match. However, for the sake of having fun with the game, and to keep things interesting, I'll take the Eagles to win this one against BND's boys. What do you say bud? Joke's on you, you haven't even read any of this. HEY! DUDE! OVER HERE, HEY! STOP STARING AT BOOBIES FOR A SEC!

BND's Update:

Huh? Did you say something. You forgot to talk about the eagles vs. The cowb....BOOBIES!!!!!!!!! uh, I mean eagles vs. cowboys.

17 comments:

spartachris said...

That. was. hilarious! Excellent wit there, my friend. Looking forward to it this weekend.

spartachris said...

Personally, and I think I said it well up there, I believe this all adds up to what may be a really great game, maybe the best game you watch all weekend, though possibly overshadowed by the significance behind T.O. returning. I'm interested in anyone's thoughts on Dallas at Philedelphia.

spartachris said...

By the way, new post on AskKenHawk regarding Ken's research with popular myths.

spartachris said...

OK, anyone want to talk about any of the games? I'm wide open out here.

spartachris said...

OK fine everyone who just wants to talk about the cheerleaders, the floor is open.

BigNewsDay said...

Sure, why is the one in the background so out of focus?

BigNewsDay said...

I bet she has nice BOOBIES too!

spartachris said...

These are the kind of things that make me question if there really is a higher power out there, one would think he would never allow something like that to happen. A blurred boob is like a sunburn on your wang, nobody wins.
Was having trouble getting two pictures in the same blog for a while, but think i got the hang of it. From here on out, the women of the NFL will have their place here.

BigNewsDay said...

God bless you Ken Hawk!

BigNewsDay said...

...but as far as this week's games, the Bears will win, the Packers will lose, and Dallas will edge will edge out the Eagles, but this is a game I'm worried about. This has been such an intense rivalry for so long, that no matter what the stats are of either team, antone can win. Does anyone remember Buddy Ryan and the Bounty Bowl?

Last prediction: Texas will stomp OU.

Hook 'em Horns!!!!!!

spartachris said...

I have to agree BND, everytime I read about or watch the Bears training they are constantly on topic as to how they need to improve. To me thats a sign of a winning team, they don't sound like they are falling victim to the hype surrounding them. Hearing "best team in the NFL" all week just seems like too much, I don't feel that yet.
Packers will do what they do best and lose.
Cowboys and Eagles just makes sense to me, for every strength it seems it is matched well by the other team. I can see either pulling this off, and I wouldn't be suprised if it came down to who has the ball on the last drive. I would go with giving the edge to the Cowboys what with Philly's deteriorating among the ranks, but for a friendly contest, I'll take the Eagles.

Anonymous said...

haha nice article. i agree that the ravens have not done too much to warrant a ton of praise (granted it was a tough win over san diego, but it was VERY close and the also BARELY beat the clowns er browns ) but i think they could beat denver. jake plummer is IMO the biggest hit or miss qb in the game. when hes on he can win the game for you, but when he is off, man is he off... (eg. week 1 this season, last years playoffs vs. my steelers, etc.) this should be a good weekend though, I hate the eagles more than any team, and im rooting for the 'boys to kick some ass.

spartachris said...

I've been back and forth on Baltimore and Denver all week, thus why i think if we get a good game out of both, or either, Monday night it'll give us a clearer look at each team. I think what finally made me side with Denver was that coming into Mile High Stadium and winning is a tough one to pull off. As simple as that one factor is, thats really all I can go with to make a pick here. I think your assessment of Plummer is right on though; on top of that, he was one of the first to look over his shoulder this year when the rookie quarterbacks showed up on the team.
I totally understand, as a Chicago native, I could watch the rival Packers lose every day. They probably would too, if games were set up like that.

BigNewsDay said...

I would tend to agree with you on the broncos vs. the ravens. Beating Denver at Mile High is going to be difficult. Denver's defense is playing very tough, and that thin air will give the broncos an edge.

Oh, and the Horns stomped OU.

\m/ Hook 'em Horns \m/

spartachris said...

Yeah nice bro! I think the biggest thing comes down to how Plummers going to do after this week off. His game was solid last year, but since that AFC game where the Steelers tore the Broncos up the guy seems rattled. Like I said, I think the media and some fans have overreacted calling in for Cutler already, a 2-1 team like Denver should hardly be in the ranks of teams in panic mode. Lets see how he does against the Ravens; a win over this D leading the league in picks would be a good turn around.

spartachris said...

Looking forward to these games today. I heard Owens just called McNabb a banana dick after McNabb filled his locker with shaving cream. OOOOH. Fight after school, 3:15 at the flagpole.
I hope to see the 'Boys win. Maybe this will be the end of all the media garbage.

spartachris said...

Best line Ive ever had....

2006-10-03 02:15:21 PM murp0837
Heads will be turned when the Bills beat the Bears this sunday.

Me:
Lets meet at the corner of 40 and 0 and discuss.

This was before the Bills scored (grrr) in that last minute, but the point is there.
5-0